An extensive range of sustainable and responsible investment (SRI) funds
BNP Paribas Investment Partners’ offering includes a broad range of SRI products to meet the needs of clients who are keen to combine return potential and making a positive impact on the environment and society.
What is SRI?
SRI (sustainable and responsible investment) is investment that aims to reconcile financial return with a social and environmental impact, by financing companies and public entities that contribute to sustainable development, regardless of their sector of activity. By influencing the actions and governance of these organisations, SRI promotes a responsible economy.
A wide range to match our clients’ needs
With more than 15 years of experience in sustainable and responsible investment, we provide a full range of SRI investment solutions that cover several asset classes.
Our range of SRI funds includes equity, fixed income, balanced and alternative investment strategies.
They are available as open-ended funds or dedicated mandates, tailored to meet the specific needs of institutional clients.
Two approaches to SRI
Our SRI portfolios include:
- Best-in-Class strategies that invest across all sectors in issuers that we assess as the best performers among their peers in terms of environmental, social and governance practices.
- Thematic strategies that invest in companies providing products and services linked to particular environmental and social themes that we believe have strong return potential. These include:
- Protecting the environment (e.g. renewable energy, products helping to save energy, water management, pollution control,recycling of packaging)
- Social well-being (e.g. access to health care, alleviating poverty, sustainable economic development, ageing populations, microfinance).
- A combination of both Best-in-Class and thematic strategies.
Our team of senior ESG analysts is organised by business sector. They evaluate the environmental, social and governance (ESG) practices of companies and select those with the best practices for our Best-in-Class SRI portfolios
Recognised SRI expertise
BNP Paribas Investment Partners’ range of SRI funds regularly receives recognition from independent SRI experts.
In 2015, 15 of our SRI funds received a label from Novethic a French SRI body.
- Ten funds received the Novethic SRI labels for funds that meet strict criteria in terms of the transparency of the SRI investment process and integrating ESG factors when selecting stocks.
- Five funds have been awarded the Novethic Green Funds label, which Novethic awards to funds that focus on the environment and make a significant contribution to sustainability.
Five of our funds have received environmental certification from LuxFlag, a fund labelling agency based in Luxembourg, for their commitment to the environmental sector and the high level of transparency they provide to investors.
A seasoned team of SRI experts
We have more than 50 investment professionals involved in developing and managing SRI funds. With more than 15 years of experience, they now apply their SRI expertise to managing the full range of asset classes.
We manage EUR 22 billion1 of our clients’ assets in SRI strategies in UCITS funds and mandates.
Impact investing: proximity and social-value creation for our clients
Impact Investing is rising as a must-have strategy for a bigger part of our clients who want to assess the social and environmental impacts of their investments. We are actively positioned on developing expertise on this area based on our sound experience in France. For 12 years, we have developed a range of impact funds for retail and institutional clients in order to invest all or part of their assets in non-listed social businesses in the field of social inclusion, employment, social and intergenerational housing, microfinance or environment. As of 30 September 2016, we had invested in 21 social enterprises, for a total of EUR 63 million. In addition, we are invested in a microfinance fund investing in emerging countries for a total of EUR 9 million.
We have created a dedicated team of analysts to identify high potential investments, by assessing the social mission as well as financial performance of companies. Our added value:
Active promotion: to raise awareness on impact investing among our clients and potential investees
Social Impact Analysis : to validate the relevance of the social mission and to assess the generated social impacts
Financial Analysis: to assess the viability of the business model
Long-term partnership: to support social businesses for scaling-up
- 1. Source: BNP Paribas Investment Partners, 30 September 2016